When is the 2016 parade? Saturday, April 23rd from 12 Noon to 2pm.
What is the theme? "All Aboard! Next Stop Petaluma!" Celebrating our rich railway history and tracks to the future with the arrival of the SMART train in 2016!
How do I enter my child in the Cutest Little Chick Contest? This much loved community contest takes place at the Butter & Egg Days Parade at 10:15 am in front of Copperfields Books (140 Kentucky St.). It is put on by Petaluma Egg Farms and you need to give them at call at (707) 763-0921 to sign up. Participants are invited to ride in their float in the parade after the competition as well!
What is the parade route? The parade will start at Walnut Park (4th & D Sts.), it proceeds North on Fourth St. to Kentucky St., then takes a right on Washington Street heading East, then it takes another right onto Petaluma Blvd. N. heading South and disbands at Walnut Park.
When is the festival and where is it located? The festival will start at 10am and ends at 4pm. We will have music, family fun activities, a multitude of food vendors, beer gardens, arts & crafts booth, sampling and more in the A Street Parking lot on 4th St., on Western Avenue between Kentucky St. and Petaluma Blvd N., on B St. and on 2nd St.
Where are the awards announced and when? The Awards ceremony for all parade categories will take place at approximately 3 pm on the steps of the Petaluma Historical Library & Museum at 20 4th Street on the corner of B & 4th Sts.
How many people attend the event? We have over 30,000 spectators, in addition to over 3,000 participants in the parade, and over 240 volunteers that help run it.
How long has this Parade been taking place? Since 1982, it's currently in it's 35th year! This event was "resurrected" from the original "Egg Days Parade" that celebrated our booming egg industry at the turn of the 20th Century. The last Egg Days Parade took place in 1926.
Why are the streets closed? There is a parade and we have to clear the streets in order to make way for it.
What streets are closed and when? There are a number of street closures:
- Kentucky Street between “B” Street and Washington Street, from 7 AM to 3 PM;
- Second Street between “B” Street and “D” Street, from 5 AM to 6 PM,
- Fourth Street between “I” Street and “B” Street, from 11 AM to 2 PM;
- Fifth Street between “I” Street and “D” Street, from 7 AM to 2 PM;
- “A” Street Parking Lot from 5 AM to 6 PM;
- “B” Street between Second Street and Petaluma Boulevard from 5 AM to 6 PM;
- “B” Street between Petaluma Boulevard and Sixth Street, from 5 AM to 6 PM;
- “C” Street between Petaluma Boulevard and Second Street, from 7 AM to 3 PM;
- “C” Street between Petaluma Boulevard and Fifth Street, from 7 AM to 3 PM;
- “D” Street between First Street and Sixth Street, from 11 AM to 3 PM;
- Water St. between Washington St. and Petaluma Boulevard, from 7 AM to 6 PM;
- Washington St. between Keller St. and Petaluma Blvd., from 11 AM to 3 PM;
- Western Avenue between Petaluma Blvd. and Keller Street, from 5 AM to 6 PM;
- “E”, “F” and “H” Streets between Fourth St. and Fifth St., from 7 AM to 3 PM
How can I drive into that area? The parade area is closed to through traffic. Only residents may drive through.
Where can I park? There is plenty of parking in the City Parking Garage on First & C Street and the City Parking Garage on Keller and Western Ave. The city also waives the 2 hr parking restriction on that day for the surrounding non-closed streets. OR, avoid parking altogether and enjoy a free ride on Petaluma Transit's clean, safe, and Wi-Fi equipped busses to the Parade:
- Live near S McDowell Blvd, Ely Blvd S, Sonoma Mtn Pkwy, Maria Drive, or E. Madison? Take Route 33 to ETC (Safeway) & transfer to Route 11 to Copeland Transit Mall and walk to the parade.
- Live near N. McDowell Blvd? Take Route 2 to ETC (Safeway) & stay on the bus, it will then go to Copeland Transit Mall (the bus becomes Route 11 once it departs ETC) and you can walk to the parade.
- Live near Lakeville Hwy, Frates Road, S. McDowell Blvd, or Caulfield? Take Route 24 to Copeland Transit Mall and walk to the parade.
- Live near Petaluma Blvd N. take Route 1 to Copeland Transit Mall and walk to the parade.
What about Handicap Parking? There is handicap parking on the corner of 2nd & C Sts., which is in the City parking structure. With closures, you’ll need to enter on 1st St. (off of D St) and make a left onto C St., and then you can enter the parking garage on the left. The walk from there to the parade route on Petaluma Blvd. is one block. There is also handicap parking in the City Parking Garage on Keller and Western Ave, and it’s a very short walk to the parade route from there. There is also a handicap parking area behind the “A St. Parking Lot” which is off of 5th St. The parking lot itself is full of vendors, activities, etc. But there is an old education building on the corner of B St. and 5th St., you enter on 5th St. and there is dedicated handicap parking there. It’s right next to the A St. lot and maybe a block to the parade route on 4th St.
I’m in the parade. Where do I go? Everyone should check with whoever has organized their parade entry before the day of the event. The contact person for each unit involved in the parade is sent parade orders with when and where to show up the morning of the parade. All units line up in the surrounding neighborhoods and leave from Walnut Park at 4th and D Sts. to begin the parade route. Please don't drive through street closures, they are there for a reason. If you have a young child, please park and walk them to where they need to go. It's not safe for you or anyone else to drive through the street closures!
Who puts this on? The Petaluma Downtown Association and a volunteer committee plan the event. To contact us, call (707) 763-0344 or email ButterAndEgg@PetalumaDowntown.com.
How is the parade funded? The Butter & Egg Days Parade is funded through business sponsorships, a grant from the County of Sonoma and also from vendor fees, entrant fees, and your generous donations.
How can I help support the parade? We rely on the community’s support for this much loved event. You can sign up to be one of our 240 volunteers that help run the parade, you can donate, any amount of donation is appreciated. You can also become an Award Sponsor ($100 for one award, $250 for three) and receive sponsor recognition on one or more of the awards that will be given to the winning entries.
Where is the judging stand? In front of McNear’s (23 Petaluma Blvd. N.).
How many people are in the parade? Over 3,000 people participate with around 135 parade entries and 8 divisions. This includes: floats, horses, marching bands, novelty units and more.
Where can I see the parade? From the curb along the entire parade route.
Can I sit in the street? No. The street must be kept clear. There are horses and many large units. For safety reasons, you must stay on the curb.
What if it rains? The event goes on, rain or shine.
What are the deadlines for participating in the parade?
· Earlybird entries must be received by Monday February 22nd at 8am.
· Regular entries must be received by Monday, February 29th by 8am.
· Late entries, as space provides, will be accepted from February 29th after 8am until March 7th at 8am.
How do I put together a parade unit or float? It’s fun to create decorations for your parade unit, whether you’re pushing shopping carts, walking your llamas or having a float. To get some hints or tips, join us for our Float Workshop. Date and location will be announced shortly! Send us an email at ButterAndEgg@PetalumaDowntown.com to get the information.
What if I want a food booth, non-profit booth, or other vendor booth in the Festival? You simply need to download the appropriate vendor forms, click on the Applications tab above for more information.
When is the deadline for reserving booth space? We accept applications for booths at Butter & Egg Days until we run out of space.
Who is Steven Restivo Event Services? We hire SRES to coordinate and manage the Festival end of the event for us. All vendor applications should be returned to them and they can be contacted for vendor-related questions like placement and availability. You can call them at 800-310-6563.